Monday, August 20, 2012

Recovery Week

Recovery Week

Core Cardio and Balance all week long!  Last time around, I was thinking I would be bored of doing the same video every single day.  But I loved Core Cardio and Balance so much that I didn't tire of it at all.  In fact, I highly recommend this video for anyone who may not be in the best physical condition prior to starting Insanity.  Try this video first to get you going, then see if you're ready to start the program after 1 week.

Looking forward to another great Recovery Week!

Day 29
W:  346 calories
M:  386 calories

First day of Recovery Week, and I really enjoyed the workout.  The workout is based on doing different exercises for 1 minute, with no repeats, wrapping up with some 3-minute isolated "burners" at the end.  There's plenty of cardio included, but there's a decent break between each exercise so it's not as intense as the other workouts.  My husband is sick, and I wasn't sure how much he would do, but I just told him to do what he could and he ended up doing all but one exercise.  Very proud of him.  He said besides Cardio Abs, this was the only video so far that he really liked.  I think he was pleasantly surprised to discover we'd be doing the same video all week.

Day 30
W:  346 calories
M:  409 calories

Channeled my inner core and finished the entire 3-minute segment of Shoulder Burners.  Not sure which burned more - my shoulders, or my glutes and quads from holding the plie squat position.  Pretty proud of getting through without breaking form.

Now it's officially 30-days in.  We took measurements and pictures of our progress to date.  As in my first round of Insanity, not a whole lot of change on paper from the first 30 days.  Chest, arms, abs, legs are all looking a little more toned, so pictures really help in seeing the difference.  Since muscle is replacing some of the fat lost, it's kind of leveling out on the scale.  My husband's measurements for the most part were about 1/4" larger due to muscle gain.  Mine were the same or 1/4" smaller in areas like my waist, thighs, and arms. Not a huge difference, but noticeable to me.

For others out there, measuring is key - the numbers on a scale are just a sliver of the whole story.  You are gaining muscle while burning fat, which can ultimately balance each other out or even result in a slight increase in weight because muscle weighs more than fat.  Also, the scale can fluctuate based on water and time of day and is not the most accurate gauge of your progress.  Our body tends to retain water under stress, including the stress of a new and challenging workout program.  I didn't notice much of a change on the scale after my first 30 days, but was noticing that my clothes were fitting differently.  Even so, the biggest change came during month 2.

Day 31
W:  328 calories
M:  380 calories

Hit the gym this morning for Step and strength training.  Burned well over 600 calories, so I was very glad I brought some Shakeology with me.  Eating breakfast earlier, so by the time I hit my workout it was already 3 hours after breakfast, and I was very hungry by the time I finished.  Shaker cup saved the day!

Still had enough in me to do Insanity this evening with my husband.  He's still sick, but managed to complete the workout, modifying as needed so as not to overdo it when his body is already run down.  Even though I did Step, squats, and shoulders today (among other things), I was able to complete the Shoulder Burners again without stopping to rest.  I have a feeling my shoulders may be yelling at me tomorrow though!

Day 32
W:  338 calories
M:  412 calories

Tried to focus on my core throughout the workout today.  Keeping your core tight during these moves adds a whole new dimension to them.  Sure enough, my abs were hurting the next day!  Sometimes it's hard to focus on your core during every workout, but make an effort this week. You're doing the same workout every day, so you should really have it down by now.  Try to focus on keeping your core tight and make every second count!

Day 33
W:  325 calories
M:  398 calories

Nothing much different to say today.  Focused on the core again and felt the difference.  With one more day of Recovery left, I'm starting to get excited for month 2.  Itching to take it to the next level once more!

Day 34
W:  256 calories (plus first 10 minutes - forgot to press "start" on my heart monitor)
M:  441 calories

Last day of recovery.  I tried to make every moment count and really push a bit harder today.  I can feel that my shoulder muscles are stronger than they were at the beginning of the week.  I'm also ready to take it up a notch as we start the more challenging workouts in month 2.  I don't think my husband shares my enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment